NHL Playoff Observations -- Sunday
Just a few things that caught my eye:
- Who did the best impression of Bobby Orr -- P. K. Subban or Drew Doughty? My money goes to Pernell Karl. Man, I just love smooth-skating defenders who can take over the game.
- Brendan Smith -- did you think before you tried to take on Zdeno Chara? I think you're going to hear Chara laughing in your dreams (and nightmares) for the rest of your life. And if you ever do forget, Reilly Smith will remind you every, single summer.
- "I was pissed then and I'm pissed now." I think Jon Cooper is going to be pissed for the past, present and future.
- I'm beginning to think I was wrong about the Kings. Like many, I felt the Kings' depth would be the difference against the Sharks. Wrong. The fourth line for the toothed teals has dictated the series so far. Raffi Torres and Mike Brown strike again ... on both sides of the puck.
- What is up with Jonathan Quick? That third goal stunk. Stink. Stank. Stunk. He didn't even flinch. Mind you, he didn't really try either. That's the thing that set of alarm bells for me.
- I wonder if Mighty Mite is regretting his demand to play in Madison Square Gardens for half his games. Sunday's goal was just his second in a New York uniform. In 21 games.
- Steven Stamkos should never had returned to the ice after the knee to the head. His pupils looked out of whack in the postgame interview and he just didn't seem to be putting his thoughts together as fast as usual. #saveyourselfforgolf
- I wondered why Sean Couturier looked so funny last week -- he shaved his beard before Game 1 against the Rangers. But don't worry -- he'll probably look like Uncle Si again in a week or so. Now if only he could give some tips to Jakub Voracek -- his odd black beard is hideous.
- At the risk of offending the president of his fan club (his mom) ... since when has Rene Bourque been anyone's hero? He now has three goals in just three games. It took him 63 games to triple that amount in the regular season.
- Is this Rayzor's redemption? Ray Emery looked sharp today. Rayzor. Sharp. See how I did that? Sharp.
- Back to Jonathan Quick -- do you think the Sharks have the book on him? Five of the Sharks' six goals were high blocker. He has a tendency to bounce back after ugly outings. The Kings are praying for that.
- Brent Seabrook will sit for three games. One of those might be at the start of next season if the Hawks can't find a way to right the ship Monday.