NHL Playoff Observations -- Saturday (with a pinch of Friday)
- By: Janet Eagleson
- On: 4/26/2014 8:15:00 PM
- View Comments : 0
Related: Janet Eagleson Anaheim Mighty Ducks Boston Bruins Chicago Blackhawks Columbus Blue Jackets Colorado Avalanche Dallas Stars Detroit Redwings Los Angeles Kings Minnesota Wild Montreal Canadiens New York Rangers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins San Jose Sharks St. Louis Blues Washington Capitals NHL
- At some point, you have to stop and look at the real problem in Washington. And I don't think it's the coach. The Caps will not win with Alexander Ovechkin as captain.
- The Red Wings gave everything just to get to the playoffs. Now they might have a real shot at winning the Calder Cup. Just saying.
- Dan Boyle should stick to hockey. He flubbed that attempted volleyball spike in the middle of the first period and got lucky the post was there.
- Back to the Red Wings. They scored just six goals in five playoff games. Anyone remember when they hung Curtis Joseph out to dry after netting six in a four-game sweep at the hands of the Ducks in 2002-03? Hey Ken Holland -- goalies stop goals, not score them. Who will you blame this time?
- Welcome to San Jose, Marian Gaborik. That truck that hit you late in the first period left a mark, didn't it? Raffi Torres drives like he's in a demolition derby at the local fair.
- Tuukka Rask vs. Carey Price. Usually the first round produces the best hockey, but I have to admit I'm really looking forward to the Bruins-Habs.
- Sergei Bobrovsky did his part -- where were his teammates? Bob stopped 49 pucks and several were ten-bell saves. Again, goalies stop goals, not score them. See the trend?
- Compare and contrast. Sidney Crosby has gone 10 playoff games without a goal and Evgeni Malkin has gone nine. Jonathan Toews and Ryan Getzlaf just put guys on their backs. Guess which two I own in the same keeper league ...
- Does anyone really trust Steve Mason? Antti Niemi? Marc-Andre Fleury? The state of goaltending really is all or nothing, isn't it?
- Can the Kings hold the lead if I turn off the TV and go to bed? Gulp.