NHL Playoff Observations -- Saturday
Just a few things that caught my eye:
- What's the over-under on the number of questions Erik Karlsson will get about "the Matt Cooke incident." You know, team owner Eugene Melnyk still believes it was deliberate and says he is getting forensic evidence to prove it. Quick, take away his tin foil.
- Man, the Isles looked good early -- they should have been up by at least two. But they just couldn't sustain it. Dang.
- November 21, 2011 -- that was the last time Brooks Orpik scored a goal. He sure picks his moments, doesn't he? It makes up for some of those massive defensive gaffes he made in the series.
- The Pens' D is going to be glaringly exposed against the speedy Sens. Orpik, Douglas Murray and even Paul Martin were burned at various points because of their cement feet, and that was against the Isles. The Sens are faster, on average, than the boys in blue and orange. Uh-oh.
- Advantage Sens -- goal and defense. Advantage Pens -- forwards. What wins playoff hockey games? Uh-oh (again).
- Frans Neilsen will be having nightmares for weeks after the tying goal went in off his skate. Same thing happened to me in my summer season opener Thursday night. Thankfully, I had a teammate bail me out with a goal in the last minute. Neilsen didn't share the same fate.
- Nazem Kadri has just one goal in 17 games. His offense will come when he figures out how to do the little things needed to win playoff games. Whether that happens this year depends on Sunday night. Somehow, I think it's going to take him just as long to develop that as it did to get to where he was this regular season. Come back in 2014-15, Nazzy. Maybe then you'll start skating and stop giving away the puck.
- John Tavares has become the superstar we all expected. Jarome Iginla might just be channeling his last ounce of superstar ability in this postseason. #Changingoftheguard.
- I"m not convinced Tomas Vokoun has enough left in the tank to carry the Pens to the Cup. But it sure looks like he'll be given the shot. #MAFleuryDown. What happens for 2013-14?